Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chandelier, Chandelier


We have one powder room on our first floor that I am determined to give some serious pizazz!

Our house is a 1937 Cape Cod. The previous owners, while renovating parts of the house, kept some of the original vintage features like the sink (which I love). The current fixture, however, is a little ho-hum for my taste.

                                                                   
We need to infuse this little space with style! And my style is an ecclectic mix of old and new, glam and rustic, classic with a little edge.

It'll be a work in progress...on the hunt for wall paper as well (never thought I'd say that again after scraping wall paper off of a previous powder rooms' walls while 9 months preggo!)

I am always a fan of a powder room that looks like a little jewel box...pretty soaps, lush toweling, candles...and well, a unique and statement making light fixture. My mom has this pretty lil' thing in her powder room...hues of smoky lavender and violet...oooo la la!





Soooo....the design excursion I had planned involved chandeliers! Scoped out some ideas and inspiration at a local antique store, The Heritage Trail Mall in Wilmette, IL. And oh look at that, it's sale time! Perfect:)




This little beauty below I LOVE and would be so kickin' especially if I paired it with a great graphic wall paper...perhaps something black and white...although it would be dramatic with my current red walls. With the winter sale this one comes in at $228...for an antique and rewired gorgeous chandelier! They have a very similar "new" version in the current Pottery Barn catalogue starting at $299!

Possible fave.

Went upstairs to find this one on sale (originally priced in the 400's) marked down to $200 and then half off of that! Should have known it would be snatched up at $100...came the next day and...SOLD.

Steal at $100!

Another pretty one, not quite what I am looking for but lovely nonetheless. Green porcelain and pricey at $595.


Other beautiful chandeliers...lots of great choices...


I also LOVE a great pair of sconces and couldn't help but notice how pretty these were...look at the crowns! 




They had some great stuff...like this collection of blue glassware. This would add an easy punch of color in your built ins or kitchen...awesome with bright white!


Also great mirrors and well, who doesn't love a little sunburst...or two?!

Found these stunning oversized stone urns...


And a gorgeous forsythia display with emerald green foo dogs...


And I LOVE me some Foo dogs...I inherited that gene from my great grandmother I think!


So did I buy anything? No. Not YET. This was "chandelier homework assignment numero uno". Still have my eye on that first fixture though! Always fun to get some inspiration from the past in order to give it a dose of fresh and modern. Stay tuned lovelies!

Find out more about items featured here at: Heritage Trail Mall







2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Mary! I need to spruce up my powder room too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on our blog! I love yours and will be reading often. I, too, love all things sparkly and beautiful in a bathroom. Good luck finding the perfect chandelier!

    ReplyDelete